LEED v3 BD+C (New Construction) Gold
The Racagni primary school has been certified LEED® Gold. It is a new construction with a modern and functional appearance. From the architectural point of view, the materials implied have been selected taking into account sustainability and recovery of alternative natural energy sources. The construction system is made of timber, characterized by a high degree of insulation of the external envelope especially concerning walls, roof and floor. In addition, also windows and doors have been thought and realized to limit energy loss as much as possible.
Talking about plant technologies, heating and cooling groups with gas absorption have been installed.
These plants produce hot and chilled water implied both in the air conditioning of the rooms and in air treatment plants that guarantee healthiness in the air in the various areas, also in favor of the little occupants’ activities.
The lighting system has been designed with high efficiency lighting bodies. In all the different zones lighting control is provided through DALI ballasts. For those areas not regularly occupied by the school, lighting is controlled by presence sensors.
Particular attention has been paid to acoustic design, essential requirement for proper running of the classrooms’ activities: the approaches and strategies used to achieve these requirements have been set from the early design stages, selecting materials that compose the external walls, the walls partitions and false ceilings with an excellent sound insulation degree.
Gold level for LEED® Italia NC 2009
Ventilation + Heat recovery
Water-saving sanitary appliances
Low-emitting materials and finishes
High efficient lighting
Smart design (passive design strategies)
The Racagni primary school has been awarded LEED® Gold certification from the U.S. Green Building Council) under New Construction 2009 rating system.
This was possible thanks to a broad spectrum of strategies. Among the sustainable construction and design features of the buildings have been included:
- Building products were procured from local and regional manufacturers within 800 km of the project site to reduce embodied carbon emissions and minimize the building’s carbon footprint.
- Materials with high level of recycled content have been selected
- To minimize the solar heat gains, to reduce cooling costs, and avoid glare a shading system has been implemented
- A high efficient envelope has been designed to reduce energy consumption
- To reduce the energy load for heating, highly efficient heat recovery systems are fitted on air-handling units to recuperate heat from the exhausted air and to reuse it to the supplied air.
- High-reflective “cool roof” materials protect against the urban heat island effect and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. In addition, light-colored paving materials was also specified to further minimize the heat island effect.
- Water is saved by means of water efficient bathroom fixtures and faucets, additionally, a rainfall is managed in an efficient way
- The complex is powered by renewable energy from solar and photovoltaic panels.
69.00 KW/m² (21.873 KBtu/ft²)
Annual carbon footprint:
N/A (N/A )
Min. temperature =
Max temperature =
No product info available
Comune di Parma